REVIEW: Fujinon XF18mm f2R 'V' X100 + Fujinon 23mm f2 + WCL-X100

Last Sunday I wrote about the Fujinon XF 18mm f2R lens which I felt was the underrated gem of the Fuji X-Series system.  

Since I got my X-Pro1 and five lenses, including the 18mm f2, I have still used the Fujifilm X100 with its superb fixed Fujinon 23mm f2 lens but have rarely used the WCL-X100 adapter, which turns the 23mm f2 into a 19mm f2, over the past few months.  

I decided to go out to Ravensheugh Sands with both the X-Pro1 + 18mm f2 and the X100 fitted with the WCL-X100 to do a direct comparison between the two set ups.

XF18mm f2R
23mm f2 with WCL-X100 adapter
Obviously there is a slight difference in focal lengths of 1mm but the reality is there is little difference in the field of view.  It is also easy to see that the quality of the WCL-X100 adapter is on a par with the 18mm f2 lens, I certainly don't have any complaints with the quality of the images from either camera / lens.


XF18mm f2R

23mm f2 with WCL-X100 adapter
The biggest difference is the added bulk on the X100 when the WCL-X100 is screwed to the front of the 23mm f2 Fujinon.  The profile is a little unbalanced than with the standard 23mm f2 lens setup but the X100 is still a joy to use with the adapter fitted or not.

So why have I not really used the WCL-X100 adapter recently.  The reason is it is easier to use the X-Pro1 and 18mm lens than set up the adapter on the X100.  If I want to change the lens on the X-Pro1 I just press the lens release and twist the lens a quarter turn, remove and replace with another lens.  With the X100 the process is a lot longer.

First you have to unscrew the filter holder on the 23mm lens.  You then have to screw on the WCL-X100 adapter, then go into the menu to tell the camera that the adapter is fitted to allow for lens distortion.  It's not a quick process.

But I can recommend the adapter to anyone who has a Fujifilm X100 or X100S (the adapter works on both cameras), it is a useful asset to have, especially when traveling light.


XF18mm f2R

23mm f2 with WCL-X100 adapter
X100 with WCL-X100 adapter fitted making the 23mm f2 a 19mm f2 lens


Images taken on a Fujifilm X-Pro1 + 18mm and Fujifilm X100 and Fujinon 23mm f2 lens with WCL-X100 adapter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY CLICKING THE GOOGLE ADVERTS
It doesn't cost you anything to click on an advert but we get a small fee for every click thru from Google and this helps support this blog - thank you for helping
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

  1. Thank you very much for the very nice review. I just bought an X-100. I am thinking to switch to Fujifilm X in the future but I am current on the boat of Sony alpha DSLR with a few nice minolta lens. So I cannot decide whether I should buy this adapter.

    How do you think the overall image quality of X100+WCL-X100? Is it worse than XF 18 f2?

    By the way, the expose of the photos with shells look different. Is it due to the deferent of exposure time or post-processing?

    Chen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chen, first of all thank you for reading the blog and I trust you are enjoying the X100? The WCL-X100 is a great addition and the quality is on a level with the 18mm f2. I use the Fujinon 18mm more because it is easier to fit to my X-T1 or X-Pro1 where as you have to screw the WCL-X100 onto the front of the camera. But quality wise it is perfect and I do still use the converter when I am out and about with the X100.

      Delete
  2. thanks jeff, good reference ! :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4