TEST: Three Days with the Fujinon XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS

For the past three days I have been putting the Fujinon XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 telephoto zoom through its paces to assess whether I will add one to my growing Fujifilm collection. 

Firstly I need to say I didn't set out to buy a zoom lens when I opted for the Fujifilm X-Pro1, I liked the idea of fast prime lenses and bought four (14mm, 18mm, 35mm and 60mm) for the camera.



However I soon discovered that I needed a longer focal length than the superb 60mm offered.  I bought a Fotodiox adapter to fit my Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D to the X-Pro1 (CLICK HERE) but this solution has a couple of drawbacks - there is no AF, so it is manual focus only and it is quite a big lens on the Fuji.  The Fujinon XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 offers full automation, a very fast AF and optical stabalisation, which is superb (but more about that later).

I was able to get my hands on a 55-200 for a three day test at the Bahrain International Circuit where I was working on the final round of the FIA World Endurance Championship.

The Sakhir Tower at the Bahrain International Circuit
The first thing I noticed was the build quality of the zoom is of the same high standard as the primes with a solid finish.  When connected to the camera the lens is obviously very large, especially when it is zoomed out to 200mm, but at no time does it feel unbalanced, in fact the weight is evenly distributed.  There is a lens hood included which I did use, but isn't shown in the pictures, and this added around 7cm to the end of the lens.

The zoom action is very positive and weighted while the manual focus ring is in the obvious place and again has a nice action. 

The aperture ring is a bit disconcerting at first because there are no numbers on the outside, unlike the Fujinon primes, you have to look at the rear screen or in the viewfinder to see what f-stop has been set.  This is due to the fact it this lens is a variable maximum aperture.  On the primes I have got into the habit of looking at the lens to see what aperture was set but you soon get used to the alternative method.

No numbers for f-stops on the lens

In action the lens is sharp, very sharp in fact, at all focal lens.  I've seen some reports of the lens being softer when zoomed out to 200mm but as I didn't have a portable laboratory with me to do these tests and I go on the results I see on my computer screen.  And the results look pretty sharp to me.

The Optical Stabilasation function is a superb addition and really does work.  I went to the FIA WEC drivers briefing and I was shooting at 1/30th at 200mm at iso3200, without the aid of a tripod or monopod, and the pictures were very usable - see the handheld examples below.

1/40 @ f3.5 lens at 55mm iso1600


Lens at 200mm 1/30 @ f4.8 iso3200
As I reported yesterday I also went trackside and shot one of the free practice sessions (CLICK HERE).  Again the Fuji X-Pro1 and 55-200mm is not the ideal combination for this type of photography but it does work if you know what you are doing. 

The AF coped very well with the tricky lighting conditions at dusk and the fast moving cars.  However the AF-C setting on the camera did struggle to lock onto the cars at times but it did capture a sequence at 6fps of the Pecom Racing LMP2 car spinning off, so it's not all bad news. 

Capturing trackside action.  Lens at 120mm 1/320 @ f4.5 iso200
Overall I am very impressed with this lens.  At around £580 it isn't the cheapest telephoto lens on the market but the high build quality and the optical performance makes this lens good value for money in my book.  Will I be buying one? 'probably' will be my answer.  I tend to shoot landscapes not sport or wildlife with my X-Pro1 so the Nikon 80-200 will be the lens of choice for now.  But at some point in 2014 I can see a Fujinon XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS ending up in my camera bag. 

Well done Fujifilm, you've done it again - my bank manager hates you but I certainly don't.




Lens at 55mm

Lens at 200mm






Images taken on a Fujifilm X-Pro1 and Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY CLICKING THE GOOGLE ADVERTS
It doesn't cost you anything to click on an advert but we get a small fee for every click thru from Google and this helps support this blog - thank you for helping
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION
If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4