Wall Hangers

How many of us take pictures but never go further than downloading them to a computer to view on a LCD screen?  I have terrabytes of hard drive space dedicated to the images I have taken over the years.  Most of these pictures are displayed online on Facebook, Flickr, 500px or on the MacLean Photographic website, but I also choose my some of best images to print, or display in a photobook. I am proud of the work I produce and I find there is nothing better than seeing one of these shots as a large image on the wall.

The picture of Mull opposite my desk in my office

This week I took delivery of the three latest canvas prints from Nottinghamshire based firm Grangeprint - a 16" x 12" print of the Pont des Arts, and two panoramic canvas prints of Belvoir Castle and Elgol on the Isle of Skye.  I have put them on the walls around the house so I can remind myself of the places I've been.  

My favourite image is a 30" x 12 " framed panoramic print of the Isle of Mull that I took on the 2nd January 2012 from the ferry as we headed back to Oban after a fantastic week on the island.  The mountains were covered in snow and I just love the drama of the approaching snow clouds and the magical quality of the island itself.  I have placed it opposite my desk in the office so I can remind myself of why I work, so we can afford to travel and visit places like Mull.

The latest addition to the gallery is this 30" x 12" panoramic canvas of Belvoir Castle

At the moment I have ten large prints in various rooms around the house and I replace some as I get new images printed up.  I also sell some of the prints via the MacLean Photographic website as limited edition prints.  These large prints are selling well and it is also nice when a customer likes to pay for one of the images you are also happy to hang on your own wall.


I also have several box frames that take 12" x 8" prints and I have these dotted around the house so I can print off one of my latest pictures on the office inkjet and see what it looks like framed.  I live with an image for a while and if I like it I will consider getting it made up into a canvas or onto a bonded acrylic mount.  The beech box frames I have were just £5 from Matalan; they look great and are a cheap way of displaying your work. 

As well large prints another way to display your images is in a photobook. I find myself looking at these hard backed book more often than I would at a photo album as they are better presented.  It is also a nice way to show your work to clients, as well to friends and family, who don't tend to groan as much when you want to show them your holiday images.  Also with photobooks you can add text to give a narrative so the reader can understand where an why you took a particular picture.  Here is a link to the photobook I had produced by Blurb from our trip to Tuscany in 2012

So I recommend you don't hide you best work on a computer hard drive or just display on a website or social network.  Print some up and get them on your wall.  You will find it will inspire you as a photographer and make you look for the next 'big picture' image when you are out and about with your camera - it works for me.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

MORE IMAGES CAN BE VIEWED ON FLICKR AND ON OUR WEBSITE



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter