Tracks in the Snow

Well the snow finally arrived yesterday and I decided to get kitted up in my outdoor gear and head out before sunrise this morning.  The weather forecast had promised a sunrise but unfortunately the reality was a lot of unbroken cloud that was still dropping the odd bit of snow.

Still I had made the effort and headed up the hill behind Grantham Cemetery to take some images of the trees and some shots of snowy Grantham.

House on top of the hill
First stop was a house that sits on the hill overlooking Grantham.  The surrounding trees made for a good counterpoint to the white painted house and the snowy foreground.  The featureless sky was darkened using two Lee ND Graduated filters (0.6 and 0.9 ND Soft Grads).  The image was turned into a dramatic mono in post processing but it was how I saw the image in the camera at the time.


I wanted to take an image of two trees that I have used before and as I approached them I noticed some rabbit tracks in the snow and decided to use these in the foreground of the image.  The tripod was lowered so it was almost on the ground and the camera put upright so I could take the image as a portrait. 



 I took a couple of images of the Nikon on my Fuji X100 to show how I set up this type of image.  You can see the final image on the 'Live View' screen on the back of the D700.  I try to get the image right in camera so there is little to do in Photoshop back at the office.





Image taken on a Nikon D700 + 17-35 f2.8 AF-S and a Fujifilm X100


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

MORE IMAGES CAN BE VIEWED ON FLICKR AND ON OUR WEBSITE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4