Review: Another Look at the Ultra Wide Fujinon Zoom


The XF10-24mm was the first Fujinon zoom lens for the X-Series with a fixed aperture and I bought the version I have in my camera bag in May 2014.  Over the past 16 months this lens has been a constant companion on my various trips around world because it is such a versatile piece of glass.

First of all, at 87mm from front to back, the 10-24mm is not a small lens but the 15-36mm equivalent focal length is something I use for my landscape and sports work and in these instances a small size is not that important.  The good news that all movements are internal to the lens, so the size of the lens doesn't change when zooming.




There are a few minor niggles with this lens that are easily addressed.


1. When using my Lee filters in bright sunshine the white lettering on the front of the lens is sometimes reflected in the back of the filter and then caught on the image.  The reflections can be removed in post production or the lettering can be covered up by black tape.  Some photographers have taken a black marker pen to the lettering but that is a solution that defaces the lens permanently and I'm not a fan of this approach.  The reflection problem is something that Fujifilm are aware of and hopefully a solution will be forthcoming on future lenses.

2. The 10-24mm has an unmarked aperture ring just like the variable aperture zooms that preceded it but with a constant aperture a marked aperture ring could've been used.  This issue has been addressed on the 16-55 f2.8 and 50-140mm f2.8 constant aperture lenses, which both have a proper aperture ring.  For me it is a minor design fault and the aperture is displayed in the EVF or on the rear screen.

3. This lens is not Weather Resistant (WR) and I do have to keep this in mind when I'm working in wet or dusty conditions. But I either cover the camera up or protect it as best I can.  I have used this lens in hot and dusty conditions in Bahrain and Texas, it has been covered in spray during a trip out into the North Sea on the Dunbar Lifeboat and has been dropped into deep snow in the Highlands of Scotland and I've never had a problem over the past 16 months.  It would be good to see a WR version of this lens (with an f2.8 aperture) in the future. 

As I said these three issues are minor and shouldn't be a reason for anyone needing a wide angle zoom for their X-Series camera to not consider buying one.




The building quality is superb, the Auto Focus is 'snappy', especially with an X-T1 running the latest Version 4 firmware, and the Optical Image Stabilisation (OIS) system is a real help when hand holding in low light.  I would prefer to see the OIS dropped in favour of an extra stop on the aperture as f2.8 would be more useful for my type of work - but that is a personal preference.

However it is the glass that it the prime factor when considering buying an XF lens and the 10-24mm doesn't disappoint.  The images are sharp across the frame even when shot wide open at f4.  There is some distortion when shooting at 10mm, but that is to be expected and I tend to use this to my advantage when shooting tall buildings by placing them at the edge of the frame so they 'lean' into the image.



The 10-24mm is also my lens of choice when I place the camera on the Manfrotto Suction Mount for car photography and then control the camera using the Fujifilm App.  I recently did this with a shoot when fellow X-Photographer Dirk Bogaerts visited Scotland in his MGB.



Another example of the use of this set up is the shoot I did with the Porsche 911 Turbo S last year HERE.



I have also used the XF10-24mm f4 for wildlife images.  It may not be the first lens you think of for wildlife but it has come in very useful during my trips out to Bass Rock and the Isle of May for getting something a little different.  I do advise caution though.  You must only use this lens for close up shots if you are not going to distress the subject.




Videos
I also use this lens for the press conference videos I shoot at each of the World Endurance Championship and European Le Mans Series events.  Because we have at least nine drivers in the main press conference I need to include the whole scene which isn't always possible using the 18mm f2 prime lens.  With the 10-24mm I can frame the scene perfectly.

Conclusion
The 10-24mm f4, along with the 50-140mm f2.8, offers me the perfect combination of image quality and versatility when working.  I still love the Fujinon prime lenses and I would be without the 18mm f2, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2 or 90mm f2, but when you have to work fast or you need to get a little bit wider then the Fujinon XF10-24mm f4R OIS is the lens to have on the camera.  

CLICK HERE for more information on the Fujinon XF10-24mm f4R OIS











CLICK HERE to go to the Fujinon 10-24mm gallery on the MacLean Photohgraphic FLICKR page

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

Jeff Carter was recently named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador and you can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'




Comments

  1. As its close focusing distance is amazingly short, I often use it for macro and close-up! https://www.flickr.com/photos/scroate/14234189288

    Ultra-wide to macro - a very versatile lens!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Bob, the last shot above was taken low down and close up. A great lens.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4