Using the Fujinon XF50-140mm f2.8 at Le Mans


Here are a couple of images from Le Mans using the Fujifilm X-T1 and the new XF50-140mm f2.8.  I am beginning to love using this lens, it is very flexible and is so sharp across the frame, even when used wide open at f2.8.

My favourite lens when I used Nikon was the Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AF-D I bought new for £1600 in 1996.  This was my 'go to' lens and despite Nikon bringing out subsequent versions of this superb lens I kept the 80-200mm f2.8 for 18 years.

When I switched to Fujifilm last year the one regret I had was selling this superb lens, so when Fujifilm announced they would be producing an equivalent lens, 50-140mm f2.8 (76mm-213mm f2.8) with image stabilization then I knew I would have to try one.  And with a RRP of £1200 it is £400 cheaper than I paid for the Nikon 80-200mm f2.8 19 years ago! 

Last October Fujifilm lent me a pre production copy during race day during our trip to Japan for the World Endurance Championship race at Fuji Speedway but I didn't get much of an opportunity to test it (BLOG HERE). So when they offered to lend me a production model for Le Mans I jumped at the chance.

I will be producing a full blog on this lens in due course but my initial impressions are that once again Fujifilm have produced a lens that lives up to the media hype - it is sharp across the whole frame at all apertures and it isn't too big on the X-T1 as long as you have the VG-XT1 battery grip fitted to the camera.

In the pitlane and in the public areas the lens is a real performer.  Trackside the 213mm equivalent focal length is a little limiting but Fujifilm have announced they are producing a 1.4x converter and so this will increase the pulling power of this lens to the equivalent of around 300mm with one stop reduction in exposure.   

However I was still able to get some good shots of the cars on track, you just need to adopt your work flow and look for images that you can get with this lens rather than wishing for an extra 100mm on the focal length. 

The temptation is to use the XF50-140mm f2.8 wide open all the time as the subject is isolated from the background and the bokeh is excellent.  But this lens is great at all apertures.

Here are some of the shots I took on Tuesday and Wednesday at Le Mans using the XF50-140mm f2.8 and, as I said, I will be doing a more in depth blog when I get back from France next week.

For more information on the Fujinon XF50-140mm f2.8 R LM OIS CLICK HERE







-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION


MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter