COMMENT: Where am I going with Fujifilm?

The Perfect Travel Kit: My current Fujifilm outfit and it all fits in the Tamrac Aria 6 Messenger Bag

I recently took delivery of a Fujinon 55-200 f3.5/f4.8 telephoto zoom for my X-Pro1.  I will be testing it out over the next few days and reporting back on my findings.  I have already had a version of this lens on a short term loan in Bahrain (CLICK HERE), so it will hold no surprises for me I'm sure and the 200mm will add that extra pulling power the 60mm f2.4 prime lens lacks.

However with my ever growing collection of Fujifilm gear I started asking myself where I was going with this and decided to remind myself of the reasons for purchasing that X100 back in 2012.  

The short answer was the small size, coupled with fantastic image and build quality.  I wanted a small camera that gave me the same quality as my Nikon DSLRs and lenses without having to lug a big backpack full of metal and glass.

This ethos took me through to October 2013 and was the main reason for getting the X-Pro1 and the four primes, with now the added pulling power of the 'lightweight' 55-200mm.  

Now, like many other photographers who have 'got' the Fuji bug, I was interested in the Fujifilm X-T1 that was unveiled a few weeks back. I've been reading up on the specs and the thoughts of those photographers who had a little hands on time with the camera. 




Also Fujifilm have released their new 2014/2015 lens road map (see above) which includes some serious f2.8 zoom lenses - a 16-55 and a 50-140.  Now with the crop factor, these new lenses will be the equivalents of the Nikon 24-70 f2.8 and 70-200 f2.8 (24-82 and 75-210 in fact) but with a constant f2.8 aperture they will have to be BIG lenses.  There are also rumours about the super Telephoto that is due out at the start of 2015 and this could be in the 120-400mm zoom range.

BUT then I started to think 'why do I want a mirrorless DSLR lookalike with big lenses?'  I had a serious 'hang-on-a-minute' moment as I realised that this is heading down the Nikon DSLR route again (ie lots of lenses and camera bodies) which is bulky and, while not as heavy as the Nikon, putting weight into the camera bag again.  

Also the X-T1 looks like a cut down retro DSLR and is very different from the rangefinder ergonomics and feel of the other X Series cameras.  The X-Pro1 and X100 allow me to take pictures on the street without looking like a professional, unlike my full frame Nikon D800.  I suspect the DSLR look of the X-T1 might not been as 'stealthy' as the X-Pro1 in these types of situation.

Last Friday I spent a couple of hours in Paris with just the 14mm and 35mm lenses for the X-Pro1 and I really enjoyed photographing around the Trocadero and the Eiffel Tower and not worrying about the kit I was using. I saw plenty of tourists and photographers using DSLRs with big lenses, tripods etc and I just enjoyed getting the results with my minimalist, and very lightweight, Fujifilm X-Pro1.

So when traveling I have now decided to only take the camera / lenses that fit into my new compact Tamrac Aria 6 messenger bag that was a Christmas present from my ever so understanding, and patient, wife Julie.
   
This superb bag can take the X-Pro1 with the 18mm attached, the 14mm, 35mm, 60mm primes and the newly acquired 55-200, X100, EF-20 flashgun, Gorilla Pod, Lee filters and filter holder and spare batteries, memory cards, cable release, charger etc.  

This, along with my Manfrotto Compact Tripod for night shots that fits in my carry on luggage, is my ideal travel kit and that is what I will be taking from now on to keep my travel photography fun while still coming up with the photographic quality I need time after time.

I will certainly enjoy trying out the X-T1 as it looks like a great camera.  I am sure more photographers will be tempted by the DSLR looks and fast f2.8 zoom weather sealed lenses, and that is great because Fujifilm deserve all the plaudits they've been receiving over the past three years.   However this is moving away from the reasons why I use Fujifilm X-Series gear.

SO what I really want is all the improvements the new camera offers (X-Trans II sensor, faster AF, WiFi connectivity, better EVF, and weatherproofing) in the body of the X-Pro1. Could this be the X-Pro2? Now that is a camera I would make room for in the Tamrac bag alongside my current lens line up.

THIS IS A BIG HINT FUJIFILM!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY CLICKING THE GOOGLE ADVERTS
It doesn't cost you anything to click on an advert but we get a small fee for every click thru from Google and this helps support this blog - thank you for helping
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'



Comments

  1. I sure understand where you're coming from! My vice has been finding different 50mm lenses for portraits simply for their "thumbprint". I have an Olympus 50 1.4 that I photograph males as it is so sharp and a Jupiter 9 85mm f/2 that I use to photograph females. I could easily take 5-7 more lenses for this alone, but the bag would get heavy really fast!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I use my Nikon 50mm f1.4 on the X-Pro1 and it's great. But I really like your idea Dwight.

      Delete
    2. Can I ask what the mount adapter you use for your Nikon 50mm +X-Pro 1 set-up? thanks

      Delete
    3. i use a Fotodiox adapter. if you put Fotodiox into the search at the top of my blog you will find two blogs on using this adapter. i can recommend it as it is well made.

      Delete
    4. Here is a link to the blog about the Fotodiox Adapter - http://macleancomms.blogspot.fr/2013/11/review-using-nikon-lenses-on-fuji-x.html?q=fotodiox

      Delete
  2. This gets right to the heart of it. We slowly ratchet up our requirements until we end up back where we started.

    I really like David Hobby's approach to travel photography. Every time I start thinking I need this or that prime, I look at his kit and feel luxuriant with my Fuji 18-55mm zoom :).

    http://petapixel.com/2014/02/01/digitalrev-asks-david-hobby-share-top-travel-photography-tips/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw that video a couple of days ago and I agree with Mr Hobby about travel photography. If I'm not being paid I like to take the X100 or X-Pro1 and a couple of primes and really enjoy getting to know a place without worrying about the kit. I do take two spare batteries for each Fuji as they are very bad on the juice, but apart from that I love them for travel.

      Delete
  3. Actually I really understand your point. I have myself a Sony A99 FF body with some lenses along with a Fuji X100s, and what gives me the most pleasure and fun is the little Fuji. thing is I plan to sell my full frame body to go the entire way mirrorless, and I was waiting for the X-Pro 2. But then the XT-1 appeared and so I looked at it with attention.
    I had the same questions as yours about the size, the form factor, etc. but the thing is, the XT-1 is just as "small" as an XE-2. So ti's just about a different form factor, but the size remains small even though it feels like a mini DSLR.
    If you keep using the primes you have, you won't have a bulky camera and you would be able to take street photos again without any problem !! Take a look at this :http://j.mp/1i96PqI

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephane - I am looking forward to using an X-T1 this summer. I have my Nikon D800 and four lenses, flash, grip etc and while I was considering selling it to buy more Fuji gear I have decided that would be a mistake. The Full Frame format Nikon offers me different things from the XP1 and X100 and each have their good and bad points. At the moment I would be swapping the D800 for an X-T1 and that isn't the way I want to go.

    However Fuji have been very clever once again with the X-T1 because this camera will broaden the appeal of the X-Series to more photographers and that can only be a good thing for the future. For now I will keep an open mind on the X-T1 but I am waiting for an X-Pro2 with all the things the X-T1 offers - now that is my ideal next X-Series purchase.

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow amazing, retro style.. love photography..
    thank you :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4