RIP Allan Simonsen


Today was the worst day in my career in motorsport and this was the last picture I took on the grid before the start of the 24 Hours of Le Mans.  During the first few laps Allan Simonsen (on the left) was killed after his Aston Martin Vantage hit the barriers and little did I know when I gave Allan a thumbs up and a 'good luck' that this would be the last time I would see him. 
 
I had the pleasure of working with Allan for most of my career, first meeting up with the happy-go-lucky Dane during our time at the European Formula Palmer Audi Championship in 2000.  A blindingly quick driver in single seaters but lacking the backing to move up to the upper echalons of the category he switched to sportscars and this where he really made his mark.
 
Allan spent a lot of time in Australia where he became a well known and successful GT driver, he stayed so long that the Danish driver picked up an Aussie accent.
 
I started working with Allan again in British GT, where he assisted Hector Lester to the title, and then FIA GT3 and lately in the FIA World Endurance Championship.  Always quick and always a force to be contended with on the track.  Off track he enjoyed life to the full and was one of the characters of the paddock.
 
RIP Allan, I was proud to count you as a friend and I will miss your cheeky smile in the paddock.  Thank you for the happy memories over the years, which will never be forgotten.  My heart goes out to your family and friends and to everyone at Aston Martin, who are still racing with the blessing of your family and I hope they bring home the winners trophy in your memory.

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4