REVIEW: 60 Minutes with the XF23mm f2 in Mexico


While I have been working at the Autódromo Hermanos Rodríguez on the latest round of the FIA World Endurance Championship in Mexico City I have been in contact with Fujifilm Mexico.  On race day we invited the top people from the Mexican division of Fujifilm to come along to the race to see the first WEC event in their country for themselves.  

When they arrived they brought a little present for me, the new Fujinon XF23mm f2 lens for me to try for the day.  As it was race day I had only a small window of opportunity to try the lens and that was on the grid during the build up to the race.  I have tested the 23mm f1.4 on two occasions and love the images it produces (see review HERE) but the size of the lens means it isn't one I would put in my camera bag.



The 23mm f2 is about the same size as my 35mm f1.4 and is the same focal length and maximum aperture as the fantastic lens I have on my X100.  The 35mm equivalent focal length is perfect for street photography, which is the perfect genre for a grid walk at the race track.

Fitting the lens to my X-Pro2 I had to ignore the silver paint job, which clashed with the black X-Pro2 but this was only aesthetics,  this was about evaluating the performance of the lens. 

I walked down the grid shooting the entertainment, the team personnel and the drivers as they waited for the green flag to be waved to begin the six hour race in Mexico.  

I had about 60 minutes to try the lens and I was very impressed by the performance.  I usually fit the XF10-24mm f4 when I do a grid walk as it gives me a lot of flexibility so having a fixed lens, with a 2 stop advantage I need to add, gave me a different challenge.

The AF is as good as it is has been reported in the reviews I had read.  It is quick and snappy, locking on straight away with no noise or hunting.  I had the camera set to AF-S on the front dial.

Optically the 23mm f2 is fantastic, producing beautiful images.  The depth of field is very nice, not as shallow as the f1.4, but still very good.




Would I buy one?  Well maybe a black one to fit on my X-Pro2 for a walkabout lens.  

For the grid a fixed focal length lens is a bit limiting, I prefer to use the 10-24mm or 16-55mm zooms for flexibility.  However in the short time I was able to use the 23mm f2 I can certainly see the appeal of this lens.

CLICK HERE to visit the 23mm f2 page on the Fujifilm website and my thanks go to Alejandro and Enrique at Fujifilm Mexico for the loan of the lens.

Here are some sample shots taken on the grid in Mexico.


















-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES (UNLESS INDICATED) ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability



Jeff Carter is an Official Fujifilm X Photographer and was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador in June 2015. In 2016 he worked with the company on the launches of the Fujifilm X-Pro2 in Tokyo and the Fujifilm X-T2 in Paris in July 2016.  You can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE

If you like what you see on this blog please follow us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAMTWITTER or FLICKR




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter