REVIEW: 100% Natural Ingredient Lens Cleaner



As a photographer occasionally I am asked to try new products that offer something different from their competitors or sometimes offer a different solution.  I was asked to try a lens cleaning product that claimed to use 100% natural ingredients and be 100% safe for pets and children.  Lens cleaning products contain chemicals and I try to minimise my use of harmful chemicals in every part of my daily life where possible.

The RCS Products lens cleaner is described on their website as 'made from natural plant derivatives, organic salts and minerals and is a non-smear product that absorbs dirt rather than chemically breaking it down'.

I decided to test it on an X20 lens and LCD screen.  I made a greasy thumb print on the lens to see how it would cope in removing it.  I have to say I noticed no different between the ease of removal between the usual chemical based lens cleaner I use and the RCS Products lens cleaner.  I then cleaned the eye piece and the LCD screen (shame it can't remove scratches) and have to say it performed brilliantly.  I left the camera on the shelf for two days to see if there was reaction after cleaning and there is nothing to report, the lens and LCD is spotless.

Now this product doesn't clean the lenses any better than the chemical based products but that's the point of the post, it does the job really well without leaving any smearing or residue and uses 100% natural products that are safe.  For me this is a winner and I will now be using this product in the future.  I just need to find a similar product for wet cleaning the sensors on my Fujifilm cameras now!

A bottle of the RCS Products Lens Cleaner is £3.49 + P&P but they have a special 3 for 2 offer at the moment.  CLICK HERE to go the RCS Products website.

And I have just bought three more bottles because I think it is that good!







 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

In June 2015 Jeff Carter was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador and you can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'


Comments

  1. I quite agree, if you can do a job just as well without using anything harmful then go for it! I'll be looking into this stuff.

    Seeing as how you mention sensor cleaning, I would be interested to know what solution you currently use for this? I do find that both my X-Pro1 and X-Pro2 pick up more dust that I was used to with any of my DSLRs and I would imagine that's due to the very fact that they are mirrorless; you take off the lens and the sensor is right there. I enjoy both long exposure and time lapse photography and in both cases it can be useful to use very small apertures - and of course that's when the dust specs show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris, thank you for commenting.

      Yes I agree that there is more dust pick on the sensors of CSC cameras than DSLRs probably because the sensor is open when you change lenses whereas with a DSLR there is a mirror to protect the sensor from dust being blown onto it when the lenses are swapped.

      I try to minimise this by changing the lens with my back to the wind and, if possible, under cover. I use a blower to clean the sensor at regular intervals and at the end of the day. If I need to clean the sensor I use DIGIPAD Sensor Cleaning which I get from Amazon. I usual do a wet clean once a month (or if I do long exposure images just before I do that particular shoot.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4