Fujifilm X-Pro1: An Oldie is Still A Goodie! And also a Bit of a Bargain?

I have to admit that I have a soft spot for the Fujifilm X-Pro1. Ever since I got one in October 2013 it has been my constant companion when out shooting. Even after I added the latest X-Series camera, the X-T1, in April, the X-Pro1 is still being used and it certainly has not been reduced to 'back up body' status.  

The Water of Leith in Edinburgh Taken on Sunday using the X-Pro1 + Fujinon XF18mm 2R 
The reason is for this is simple. The X-Pro1 is a professional Compact System Camera (CSC) that delivers what I need in the quality stakes but allows me to go relatively unnoticed when shooting street photography where the X-T1, with it's DSLR looks, would struggle. I also love the retro rangefinder look and using the optical view finder (OVF) that the X-T1 lacks

Now a lot has been written recently about the rumoured X-Pro2 replacement, the fact that the X-Pro1 is 'old' technology and the X-T1 / XE2 / X100S with their X-Trans II sensors blow the images the X-Pro1 produces into the weeds. Personally I do not see this, probably because i do not look at my images through an electron microscope.  

It is the same for my X100 compared to the newer X100S, I just do not see a massive difference in the output from the two cameras, certainly not enough to warrant me making a costly upgrade.

Yes, the X-Pro1's AF is not as quick as the newer X-Series cameras; yes, the X-T1's EVF is far superior to the one on the X-Pro1 (it's superior to any other EVF on the market - period) and, yes, the X-Pro1 is three years old in the technology stakes. BUT the X-Pro1 is still a great camera and in the main it is only the 'gearheads' that the frequent internet forums and blogs who are telling you this is an old camera and best avoided.  

It is also good to note that several firmware upgrades have improved the X-Pro1 in several areas where the camera was lacking at launch (the Auto Focus is one area of note).  Also if Fuji follow their usual track record the X-Pro1 will continue to receive software updates after its successor has hit the market place.

Is the X-Pro1 capable of producing stunning images - yes! That's good enough as far as I am concerned.

Now the reason for this blog post is the result of a conversation I saw on one of the Fuji Facebook groups where there was a discussion about whether to buy an X100S or an X-Pro1 + 18mm or 35mm lens.  

The X-Pro1 body is currently retailing at around £ 749 here in the UK and Fujifilm are offering a £ 100 cashback on the camera until the 30 September. At £ 649 this is almost half the original launch price back in 2012 and this has to be considered as  the bargain of the year .

So is it worth buying one? Well if you want a pro-spec for CSC at a brilliant price, then this is a bit of a no-brainer. Certainly it is a cheaper entry into the X-Series system and, with the money saved, you can afford to buy some nice Fujinon glass to go with the camera. 

Yes, you will have to add a lens to be able to take pictures but there are plenty of 18 mm f2 and 35 mm f1.4 (27 mm and 52 mm equiv) prime lenses now available on the second hand market. The range of Fujinon lenses rival any other manufacturers for pro level quality, including Leica.  

The downside is you do not get the latest technology. So no WiFi connectivity, flip screen, 8 fps, X-Trans II sensor etc etc. BUT you do get a camera that allows you to explore your photographic creativity and take great pictures.

My X-Pro1 is certainly not my second camera, it is a camera that I enjoy taking pictures with on a daily basis.  

I was walking around Stockbridge and The Water of Leith in Edinburgh on Sunday with just the X-Pro1 with the 18 mm fitted to it and the 35 mm in my pocket and the images on this blog are from that walk.  

No heavy camera bag, just a small kit to take pictures with. I do this on a regular basis as I find it quite liberating to ditch all the extra stuff we photographers tend to load ourselves down with and just take pictures with one camera and one or two prime lenses. It certainly gets the photographic juices flowing!

Like many others I am eagerly awaiting to see what Fuji come up with when the X-Pro2 is launched (rumoured to be in September). However any new camera is not going to make me wish I did not have the X-Pro1. 

Every Photographer has to make their own decision whether a camera suits their style of photography and workflow. For me the X-Pro1 is a great camera and the results I get from it speak for themselves.  If I was in the market for a CSC, I'd buy the X-Pro1 and, with the money I saved, spend it on some fast lenses.

CLICK HERE for a link to the X-Pro1 page on Fuji Authorised dealer Park Cameras website.








All images Taken on a Fujifilm X-Pro1 Either with a Fujinon Fujinon XF18mm 2R or XF35mm f1.4R

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF PHOTOGRAPHIC MACLEAN AND CAN NOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our  Facebook  page and click 'like'

Comments

  1. Some nice pictures you have here...

    I fully agree with your comments about the X Pro 1. By no means has it replaced my trusty pro Nikons but I always enjoy shooting with it, especially when traveling, where space and weight are primary factors. I will definitely grab an X Pro 2 when it comes out (provided my trusted reviewers give it good marks), but in the meantime I will certainly not make the move to the XT1, I value the optical finder too much.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4