REVIEW: Screen Protectors by Expert Shield

LCD screens are an important part of all modern digital cameras.  Not only do they provide a playback facility to check the composition and exposure of an image, they also provide the means of composing the image in the first place - in the case of some compact, and low end cameras, the only means.  Over the years the LCD has grown in size and is more vulnerable to scratches so it is therefore vital to protect this important part of the camera.


Once applied you wouldn't know the Expert Shield Screen Protector was there
Nikon provide a plastic cover for their DSLR LCD screens, but these aren't 100% secure (more on this later), and the screen on the Fuji X100 doesn't have the facility for an external plastic cover. So when I found out about the screen protectors from Expert Shield I was interested.


Easy to follow instructions with lens cloth provided to eliminate air bubbles when apply the screen protector
I received two protectors for my X100, a normal glossy one and an anti glare screen.  I tried both and found the anti glare screen much better to use in bright conditions.  The screen on my X100 gets a lot of use because I do use the live view function around 50% of the time for composing an image.  The rest of the time I use the optical / electronic hybrid viewfinder.  So having an anti glare screen protector certainly helped for the way I use the camera, especially in bright conditions.  


The anti glare screen really helps in bright sunshine
The screen protector is very easy to apply and if you get it misaligned you can remove it and reapply.  Following the easy instructions the whole process took 60 seconds, taking care to eliminate the air bubbles using the lens cloth that comes in the Expert Shield pack.


Now back to the D800.  As I said earlier, Nikon provide a plastic cover for their LCDs so, at first, I didn't see a reason to apply an Expert Shield screen protector directly to the LCD.  But then I remembered that the LCD on my Nikon D90 still got scratched even though that had a plastic protector.  It was a few years ago, I was taking pictures in South Africa in dusty conditions and some grit got in between the plastic protector and the screen.  The result was a scratched screen.  


The Expert Shield Screen Protector applied to the LCD beneath the Nikon plastic cover - double protection
So I decided to apply an Expert Shield screen protector to my D800 in addition to the Nikon plastic shield.  I also use the Live View on the D800 a lot more than my previous Nikon digital SLRs and, to be honest, you wouldn't know the Expert Shield screen protector was there.

The other advantage is if the Nikon screen gets knocked off the camera (and they do), the LCD is still protected.  The Expert Shield pack also comes with a screen protector for the top LCD panel as well - which is a welcome bonus.


Top LCD screen protector also provided for the D800
The price for the two piece Nikon D800 and the normal Fuji X100 is £6.95, with the anti glare X100 screen at £7.95.  This is a small price to pay for peace of mind, especially when considering the resale value of your camera.

I used both cameras for a month to see how I got on with the screen protectors in working conditions at Le Mans and here in the UK. To be honest I soon forgot the screen protectors were in place.  For me this is the mark of a great product, providing protection to a vital part of the camera while not affecting the way I work. 

The Expert Shield Screen Protectors certainly get 5 Stars from me. 

CLICK HERE for the Expert Shield website

CLICK HERE for the Fujifilm screen protectors

CLICK HERE for the Nikon screen protectors

Expert Shield also make screen protectors for other cameras, tablets, mobile phones, e readers and other devices.




-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY CLICKING THE NEW GOOGLE ADVERTS
It doesn't cost you anything to click on an advert but we get a small fee for every click thru from Google and this helps support this blog - thank you for helping
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4