Miami Beach

The first FIAWorld Endurance Championship race at Sebring was a huge success, with a large, enthusiastic crowd witnessing one the best 12 Hours of Sebrings in the sixty year history of the event.  Because I didn't finish until 3:30am on Sunday morning I decided not to try and get a Sunday flight from Miami but opt for a Monday trip back to the UK and visit Miami Beach and Key Biscayne.

Miami Waterfront from Key Biscayne
The first stop on my Monday lightning tour of Miami was Key Biscayne.  Driving my rental Mustang over the bridge to the Key I was greeted with clear blue skies and white sandy beaches. I headed to the southern most tip of the Key, Cape Florida located in the Bill Baggs State Park.  $4 entry was duly paid and I headed to the car park next to the beach.  As it was early on Monday there were very few people around, which suited me down to the ground, and I went for a stroll down the beach towards the Cape Florida lighthouse.
The Beach at Cape Florida, Key Biscayne
A flock of Brown Pelicans flew overhead as I walked down the shoreline, a beautiful sight of this strange looking seabird.  




I took some shots of the lighthouse from the beach and then walked off the beach to see if I could get access to the other side of the structure.  I noticed a sign saying the lighthouse would be unlocked by a park ranger for tours at 10am and as it was 9:55am I decided to join the tour and have a quick history lesson.






After the tour I headed back to the car to drive the 7-miles to Miami Beach, famous for it's Art Deco architecture and lively culture.  The drive took me past the Port of Miami where seven or eight cruise liners were moored waiting for their next load of passengers who would holiday in the Bahamas or Caribbean.  On arrival I decided to drive down the main strip before parking up and walking.


The hotels and buildings were straight out of the 1930s and most had been recently painted with pastel colours that shone in the spring sunshine.    







After a stroll for the mile or so along the front I turned right onto South Beach.  The beach is miles and miles of wide golden sand with plenty of space for people to lounge and grab a sun tan.  Dotted at regular intervals are the Beach Patrol stations where the lifeguards sit and wait to be called into action if a swimmer gets into difficulties.
South Beach
South Beach
 After a pitstop at a local bar I headed back to the car for a long roundabout drive back to the airport.  The bits of Miami I saw were very nice but it isn't my sort of place to go for a holiday.  Florida is too flat, a bit like Lincolnshire with sunshine, and Miami Beach too touristy. I'm glad I went for the day and at least the sun shone. 


ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION.

MORE IMAGES CAN BE VIEWED ON  FLICKR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4