One Lens Challenge

London Phone Box - Nikon D700 / 50mmf1.4 - 1/800 @ f2  - ISO200
While in London at the weekend my wife and daughter went off shopping in Oxford Street so I decided to set off on a 60-minute photo challenge to see what I could find using just a 50mm f1.4 rather than a zoom lens.  A 50mm gives the same view as your own eyes so the challenge is to find photographic subjects that make the most of this fantastic lens.  It is very easy with a zoom to stand back and let the lens frame the subject but with a prime lens you need to 'zoom' by moving your feet.

I set off down Regent Street and then headed towards Berkeley Square.  I know the area fairly well after working on the London to Brighton Veteran Car Run Regent Street International Concours from 2006 to 2010 so I took off down the side streets to escape the crowds.


First stop was Hanover Square but building work had me heading south towards St George's Church. I spotted a large puddle at the side of the road and the reflection caught my eye.  Careful not to get wet from passing cars I took the shot of the clock tower reflected in the water.  It would've been better if the sky was blue rather than grey but I think this still works pretty well.



Next I headed along Conduit Street which was bedecked with Union Flags for the Queen's Diamond Jubilee / the Olympic Games.  I stopped at the end and took a shot back with a London Taxi to give some foreground interest.




I headed into Berkeley Square and spotted a new bronze statue on the south side of the park.  I headed over and took several shots at a wide aperture, the narrow depth of field throwing the background out of focus nicely.





I then headed out across the park to the other side of the road where I spotted a road sign.  Shooting along the sign at f2 has once again given me a 'trademark' narrow depth of field that the 50mm f1.4 is so good at.



I headed out of Berkeley Square down a side street with the London Mews houses before heading back to Oxford Circus to meet Julie and Kate after their hour of retail therapy.





The Nikon 50mm f1.4 AF-D is one of the most underrated lenses in Nikon's arsenal but most professionals and enthusiasts know better.  The lightweight lens is superbly built and the fast aperture means you can use it in almost any lighting conditions, especially when coupled with the Nikon D700s low light capabilities.

For more on the Nikon 50mm F1.4 AF-D click HERE 


ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION.

MORE IMAGES CAN BE VIEWED ON FLICKR AND ON OUR WEBSITE



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4