REVIEW: Get a Grip of the X-Pro2


As regular readers of this blog know I have been putting the X-Pro2 through its paces in various sporting challenges, which the newest member of the X-Series family has been meeting and surpassing expectations.  

Now using the XF50-140mm f2.8 and XF100-400mm f4.5/5.6 on the rangefinder style camera has not been an issue except for the handling, I have found there isn't enough grip on the camera when using the bigger lenses and I found myself hankering after the X-T1 and it's large battery grip.  So I decided to look at the only option available for the X-Pro2, the MHG-XPRO2 hand grip.




At £99 this might seem a lot for what is essentially a metal plate but this piece of metal transforms the X-Pro2 when using long lenses as the handgrip is enlarged sufficiently for my big hands.  



The MHG-XPRO2 has a cut out so you can access the battery without taking the grip off the camera, as was the case with the original metal grip for the X-Pro1, and another nice touch is the inclusion of the built in Swiss-Arca adapter, so if you are using a Swiss-Arca head on your tripod you don't need to fit a quick release plate.  If you don't use a Swiss-Arca head, the good news is the quick release plate shouldn't cover up any part of the battery compartment (my Manfrotto quick release plates work fine).



Now I have received some messages saying that adding all these items to the X-Series goes against the original ethos of the Compact System Camera, they say it should be small and light.  Well I point out the word 'System' in the title.  The MHG-XPRO2 is removable and I can go out with just the camera and an 18mm f2 or 36mm f1.4 if I wish - small and light.  However if I need the long lenses and grips I can.  Now I don't agree or disagree with these messages, I just think you should use your camera system the way you wish to use it and I will use it the way I need to to earn my living.

The X-Series offers the best of both worlds and we should use them the way we need to for our work.  Even fully bulked up, the X-Series is still smaller and lighter than the equivalent DSLR and my entire kit of three camera bodies, nine lenses and accessories weighs 11.7kg.

Anyway I can highly recommend the MHG-XPRO2 for anyone needing a grip for their X-Pro2.  It is well made, as you'd expect from Fujifilm, and adds that extra profile to the camera that improves the ergonomics, especially when using the longer telephoto lenses.


X-Pro2 without the MHG-PRO2 Grip Fitted
X-Pro2 with the MHG-PRO2 Grip Fitted
X-Pro2
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

In June 2015 Jeff Carter was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador and you can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'




Comments

  1. I see that you use the peak design connectors on you x-pro2 with metal rings. I managed to connect them directly while using extra strong sailing garn. If you need 30cm I'm ready to send it over :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Peter, I also connected the Peak Design connectors directly onto the prototype X-Pro2 that I have had since November but I noticed some fraying where the metal was rubbing against the cord. It wasn't bad but I don't need the PD connectors parting and dropping the camera on the floor, so I have reverted back to the metal triangle connectors supplied with the production X-Pro2 I have in the shots and used the leather protectors to prevent any wear on the PD connectors. Thanks for the offer but I'll stick to this method for now.

      Delete
    2. Peter - here is a shot of the prototype X-Pro2 with the PD connectors attached directly to the camera - http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-N0MVd6RbJqU/VqIxYqzhGNI/AAAAAAAAXWA/k7LeCi2rLDc/s1600/20160122XPRO2-4225_1200_MP.jpg

      Delete
    3. ahhhh. I see above how you did it. Think I'll use the triangles or a round connect.
      Thanks

      Delete
    4. Here is a point, maybe it is a warning. I use Peak Design and the other day I decided to test the strength of the connectors that fit on the camera. They are very strong and hold a lot more weight but even more important is that a couple of years ago they made how the connectors were made. They now are color coded internally and the colors change as the connector wears down.

      That said, it also made the connector stronger because of a series of what looks like wires.

      I decided to test just how strong the wires were and tried to cut through them with a sharp leatherman knife. It took me quite a while to accomplish the cut through and it dulled the very sharp leatherman to a point of uselessness.

      I am saying this because if the Peak connector is that strong I have to wonder what a direct connect to the eyelet on the camera will do over time. Just a thought

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter