D800 Review: Cropability Knocks

Just over a month ago I reported that I had added a Nikon D800 to the MacLean Photographic arsenal alongside the existing D700 and over the past month I have been getting used to the new 'beast' with its massive 36 megapixel sensor which gives me some massive advantages when working on landscapes or in the studio.  Starting today, and continuing over the next couple of weeks, I will write some blogs on my personal experiences on using this camera and compare it to the D700.

One of the main advantages of the huge pixel count it the ability to produce large prints without resorting to software trickery.  The native image size of the D800 is 7360 pixels by 4370 pixels, which gives an image of 62cm (24.8") x 37cm (14.8") at 300 pixels per inch.  This compares to the D700 file size of 4256 pixels x 2852 pixels from its 12mp sensor, giving a size of 36cm (14.4") x 24cm (9.6").

Now in the real world none of that matters unless you produce massive images because I have produced A2 canvas prints from the D700 without any problems but where the D800s 36mp sensor comes into its own is the ability to crop into an image and still produce a reasonable size picture.

Yesterday evening I was out taking images of the snow storms and the sunset over Grantham and one of the shots I took was this one of the sun behind the snow clouds looking towards the Vale of Belvoir.  While I was working on the image I noticed that Belvoir Castle could be seen silhouetted on the horizon so I decided to crop the image to seen what I could get out of it.

Here is the original image and you can seen Belvoir Castle in the centre of the image just above the tree line -



Here is the area I cropped in the image -



And here is the final shot -



The final shot is still large enough to give me a 28cm x 20cm print at 300ppi, which I can then interpolate to a  larger image if I wished to.

The 36mp sensor of the D800 is certainly the main reason to buy this camera and there is more to talk about in future blogs.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY CLICKING THE GOOGLE ADVERTS
It doesn't cost you anything to click on an advert but we get a small fee for every click thru from Google and this helps support this blog - thank you for helping
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

MORE IMAGES CAN BE VIEWED ON FLICKR AND ON OUR WEBSITE


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter