Into the Vale of Belvoir - Redmile

As a motorist I hate it when it snows but as a photographer I love the effect that the 'white stuff' has on the landscape.  Last week, after some snow had fallen two days before, I took the opportunity to head off into the Vale of Belvoir and started at Redmile, just 5 miles from Grantham.  


Things didn't start so well as the Vale was shrouded in mist and the light was grey and flat.   Walking along the Grantham Canal I decided to look for some details to focus on while I waited for the fog to lift.  I spotted some footprints in the snow left by a Moorhen or Coot that led through the reeds to the frozen canal.  Putting the legs on my Slik tripod on their lowest settings I was able to get a series of shots looking along the line of footprints.

Nikon D300S - Sigma 10-20mm f4/f5.6 at 14mm - 1/25 @ f11
Meanwhile the mist had begun to lift and the church spire at Redmile could now be seen.  I set the tripod up with the canal and reeds in the foreground and a ND grad filter to tone down the brightening sky.

Nikon D300S - Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6 at 10mm - 1/25 @ f16
As I headed back to the bridge and the car I spotted some very bright coloured Lichen on the fence and on a tree in the hedge.  Out came the 60mm macro lens and a series of close up shots were taken, recording the detail and colour of the lichen 'Xanthoria' including this shot which is my personal favourite from the sequence. 



Nikon D300S - Nikon 60mm f2.8 Micro - 1/160 @ f8
As these shots were being taken, a inquisitive Robin decided to sit on the fence just beyond the effective range of the lens I was using so a quick change to the 50-500 telephoto but the Robin flew off before I could take a shot. However a few minutes later he was back and three shots were taken before he was off again.  However, I forgot to increase the ISO rating on the camera and the shutter speed was at a lowly 1/80s and when I looked at the pictures all but one of the shots were blurred.  However luckily I braced myself against a tree and this shot was perfect. 


Nikon D300S - Sigma 50-500 f4/6.3 at 320mm - 1/80 @f6.3
I headed back to the car to drive to the next location I'd picked out on the map at Stathern, but more on that next week.   Here is a selection of the other images I took at Redmile 



Nikon D300S - Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6 at 10mm - 1/100 @ f16 

Nikon D300S - Sigma 10-20 f4/5.6 at 10mm - 1/500 @ f11

Nikon D300S - Nikon 80-200 f2.8 at 160mm - 1/200 @ f11

Nikon D300S - Nikon 60mm f2.8 Micro - 1/250 @ f8

Nikon D300S - Nikon 60mm f2.8 Micro - 1/60 @ f5.6

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION.

MORE IMAGES CAN BE VIEWED ON  FLICKR

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4