Glorious Sunset

I love sunsets but last night the one over snow covered Grantham was one of the best I've ever seen.  After a large snow fall the night before I grabbed the camera bag and headed up the hill above Grantham Cemetery to get some snow covered Grantham images for my portfolio.  The sun went behind some clouds as it began to set and I was about the pack up and head home when I noticed a break in the cloud below the sun.  Low and behold the sun reappeared with cloud trails across its face.


With the camera fitted with the Sigma 50-500mm telephoto I framed the shot with the tower of St John's Church in the foreground. The advantage of using a telephoto lens is is compressed the perspective and makes the sun appear very large in the image.


This shot is as it happened and is not an HDR or composite image.  I used a neutral density graduated filter on the camera and in post production I darkened the sky further and boosted the contrast. However the image is essentially as I saw it on the hill.


The three shots also demonstrate the pulling power of the Sigma 50-500mm lens with the shots being taken at 135mm - 320mm - 500mm respectively.  


Nikon D300S - Sigma 50-500 at 135mm - 1/250sec @ f8 


Nikon D300S - Sigma 50-500 at 320mm - 1/40sec @ f8 

Nikon D300S - Sigma 50-500 at 500mm - 1/1000sec @ f8
ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION.

MORE IMAGES CAN BE VIEWED ON  FLICKR






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter