REVIEW: First Impressions of the New Fujifilm X100T


The X100 was the camera that began my Fujifilm journey back in October 2012 and my version is number 506 of a 10000 limited edition run of cameras and I have always been very happy to use this camera for personal and for clients work.  

I tested the X100S when it was launched in 2013 and, while I recognised the improvements this camera offered, it wasn't a big enough step forward to justify me upgrading my trusty X100.  This weekend in Bahrain I have been able to put the third generation of the X100, the X100T, to the test.



Externally the X100T is the same size as the X100, fitted with the same pin sharp Fujinon 23mm f2 fixed lens as the X100. The layout of the controls on the top is the same and the controls on the back are familiar to anyone with an X-Series Fuji. 




The physical differences are the larger LCD on the back and the improved button layout, which includes a +/- 3 stop compensation dial as seen on the X-T1 and a more tactile aperture ring which now has 1/3 stop increments instead of full stop steps.



However the biggest improvements are under the skin.  The X100T has the latest 16mp X-Trans sensor while the latest firmware provides a number a big improvements over the first generation X100 including an electronic shutter up to 1/32000s, faster AF, WiFi capabilities like the X-T1 and the new classic chrome film simulation, which is brilliant!  




The manual focus is also an area worthy of note because this was the one area that I hated on the original camera before the V2.0 update to the firmware.  The manual focus on the X100T is precise and the focus checker makes it very easy to get sharp images everytime.



The proof of the capabilities of the X100T are in the results it can produce, so here are some test images from the FIA World Endurance Championship weekend in Bahrain.











Conclusion

The X100T is a stunning camera that is worthy successor to the superb X100 / X100S.  The results it produces are top draw and I am very impressed with the performance over the past three days.  The main drawback is the camera is so new there is no RAW converter for Adobe Lightroom available yet, but that will come very soon and the JPEG files are excellent.   

On the plus side the camera is compatible with the batteries and WCL and TCL conversion lenses that I have for the X100, so I wouldn't need to replace any of the accessories that I already own.  

Would I buy a X100T?  I rejected the X100S because the improvements were not big enough to justify the upgrade costs, but the X100T has taken the next step that will be hard to ignore.  I will have to think long and hard about this because I still love using my original X100 but, for me, the X100T is the ultimate premium fixed lens camera on the market today!

CLICK HERE for more images from the X100T in Bahrain

X100 and X100S Reviews
CLICK HERE for the review of the X100 
CLICK HERE for the X100 v X100S review

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter