The Next Generation X-T Camera is Here


Today (2nd November 2022) Fujifilm have announced the new X-T5, the fifth generation of the X-T line of X-Series cameras that was launched in 2014. I have a special affection for the X-T as it was the X-T1 that persuaded me 8 years ago to move completely to Fujifilm from Nikon, which I had been using professionally for 18 years.
 

I was involved with the European launch of the X-T2 in 2016 in Paris and at Le Mans, I have owned and used all four generations for my work and currently have two X-T4s, so when I was given the opportunity to test the new X-T5 prior to launch I jumped at the chance. 



In the summer I bought the newly launched X-H2S, having previously tested one at the 24 Hours of Le Mans in June.  With the launch of the 40MP X-H2 in September I was going to have to choose between adding the X-H2 or the X-T5 as the second body alongside my X-H2S.  As an X-Photographer I was aware of the specs of the X-T5 a few months ago and on paper it looked like it was a contender to replace the X-T4s I have in my line up, so I had a dilemma on my hands.

 

I was hoping to get an X-T5 to test at the finale of the 2022 European Le Mans Series in Portugal but, unfortunately, the sample cameras didn't arrive at Fujifilm UK HQ in time for one to be sent to me in Scotland before I had to fly to Lisbon. So, I changed my plan and decided to attend a local rugby match near to my home here in Scotland and I also had the opportunity to test the camera on some of the local landscapes on the East Lothian coast.

 

While the X-H2/X-H2S is designed as a hybrid Photography / Video camera, the philosophy behind the X-T5 is more towards photography and the new camera is smaller and lighter than the X-T4 it replaces.  In fact, the X-T5 is around the same size as the original 16mp X-T1, which is amazing when you consider what they have packed into the new camera body.



The controls, dials and buttons are all very familiar to anyone coming from the X-T3 or X-T4 – thank you Fujifilm for not moving buttons around just for the sake of it - with the big standout feature being the return to the X-T3 tilt style of LCD screen. 

 

The fully articulated screen on the X-T4 has been retained on the X-H2 line but the issue for my motorsport work with this type of LCD is it gets in the way when working lowdown in the pitlane, and I was always afraid the screen would get ripped off in such a fast-moving environment.  The return to the tilt screen is a good move on a photography centric camera body.



The X-T5 uses the newer NP-W235 Lithium-Ion batteries found in the X-T4, X-H2, X-H2S and the latest GFX cameras.  These last much longer than the older W126 batteries and the X-T5 is rated to take 740 shots on a single charge, which I can confirm is what I was getting from each battery during the short time I used this camera.  

 

However, there is one downside when it comes to batteries – there is no battery grip option available on the X-T5, the first time the X-T line has not had this.  

 

The reasons I have been given when I raised this with Fujifilm, was to A) save space in the camera body by dropping all the control circuitry for the grip and B) the fact that only 1 in every 7 purchasers of the X-T4 bought a battery grip as well.  

 

The two reasons make perfect sense as to why Fujifilm felt it was worth dropping the optional battery grip.  However, for me, as a sports photographer, the lack of a battery grip is an issue for two reasons. 

 

Firstly, the three batteries allow me to shoot for most of the day without worrying about swapping them out.  With just one battery available to me, I was keeping an eye on the power levels as it wouldn’t be a good idea to run out of juice at a critical moment.  When using a camera with a battery grip, I will let one battery go flat and then swap it out at a convenient moment like a lull in the action or at half time as I still have power available from the remaining two.

 

The second reason is the small size of the camera on a big lens, such as my XF200mm f2 that is my standard sports lens, it can feel very unbalanced.  It is something I got used to pretty quickly, but it is much easier to use the long lenses with a camera fitted with a battery grip such as my X-T4 and X-H2S.

 

Now if the X-T5 had been a direct replacement for the X-T4 as the flagship of the X-Series range, then that would be a bit of a problem.  However, with the arrival of the X-H2S / X-H2 that is no longer an issue, if you want a grip buy the X-H2/X-H2S or if you don’t need a grip buy the X-T5 - simples!




The 40mp X-Trans CMOS 5 sensor is absolutely brilliant and, coupled with the new X-Process 5 Image Processing Engine, produces stunning 7728 x 5152 images (compared to 6240 x 4160 from the 26mp sensor), the largest images from an APS-C sensor from any camera manufacturer.  This means larger prints and more cropping ability in post-production.

 

The ISO settings gets a tweak as well with 125 being the lowest setting on the dial, with 64 available on the -1 setting. 

 

The Autofocus is fast and snappy, it certainly did the business when shooting at the rugby match.  It wasn’t 100% perfect, no AF system is 100%, but it certainly produced the goods for this decerning pro shooter.  

 

The Face and Eye Detection System is excellent for people shots, but not during a rugby match as the system gets confused by the number of faces in the frame. The Subject Detection System also works well for Cars and Birds, which are the two subjects I have tested the system on.

 

The X-T5 has stuck with the twin SD UHS-II memory card slots instead of using the CF Express Type B / SD UHS-II slots in the X-H line up, which is probably due to space in the camera body for the larger Compact Flash cards.  This will be more than satisfactory for most photographers. The only issue I had was when shooting bursts of RAW/JPEG at 15fps the X-T5 did buffer on more than one occasion, where my X-H2S shot a 50-frame burst of a player running towards a loose ball and it didn’t miss a beat.

 

While the X-T5 is more photography centric, the video capabilities of the X-T5 have not been completely forgotten about with the ability to shoot 6K, 4K and Full HD.  This camera is more than capable of shooting pro level footage on the X-Trans 5 sensor but if you shoot video professionally like I do, the X-H2 is probably the camera to go for.




 

Positives

  • 40mp sensor is beautiful and gives us larger images, as well as more cropping options in post-production.
  • AF was excellent – fast and ‘snappy’.  
  • The layout of the switches and dials is the same as the X-T3/X-T4 and made working the camera seamless.  This is an issue moving from the T series to the H series.
  • The move back to the X-T3 style LCD is good move, especially when working in a fast-moving environment, such as a motorsport pitlane.  
  • Clickable front and rear dials. The ability to set the ISO using the front selector dial has been retained and is one of the few things that frustrates me about the X-H2S / X-H2.  On my X-T4 I can change the ISO with the camera to my eye quickly, whereas on the X-H2S I have to press the button (located inconveniently on the top plate) and then select the ISO level using the rear dial.  I have set the ISO button to the AE Lock button on the back of the camera to help speed things up.

 

Negatives

  • The lack of a battery grip could be a problem for some photographers. It is really shows when you are shooting with long lenses such as the 200mm f2 the whole set up feels unbalanced.  Also, with three batteries I can shoot for most of the day without worrying about the power levels and I can swap out my batteries in a lull in the action.  With only one battery I was constantly checking the power level in the viewfinder, and it could mean changing the battery at a most inopportune moment.  

 

Conclusion

The X-T5 is a beautiful camera and a rightful successor to the four previous generations. The new 40mp sensor is fantastic and will be a good reason for photographers to move up from their X-T3/X-T4.  Keeping the switch / button layout the same as the previous camera is also a good move.  The AF system is great for sport and my hit rate above what I needed or expected.

 

So, will I be buying an X-T5 I hear you ask?  Well, no!  The X-H2 has found its way into my camera bag instead of an X-T5 as over half of my professional work is now video rather than stills and the X-H2S / X-H2 gives me that flexibility.  As a sports shooter, the lack of a battery grip on the X-T5 was also another reason I decided to move away from the X-T line.  

 

For the first time since 2014 I won’t have an X-T in my working camera bag, but I do still have my X-T2 from the European launch (with battery grip), which I occasionally take out with me on walks for a bit of nostalgia. 

 

Fujifilm have defined the X-H series as the flagship/professional camera line up and the X-Ts now become the prosumer level cameras. Does this mean the X-T5 is somehow inferior? Well, in my professional opinion, certainly not.  The X-T5 is not just a great camera, it’s awesome!


CLICK HERE to see more on the Fujifilm X-T5


NOTE: I will be posting images from the rugby match I shot on the X-T5 at a later date as Fujifilm are publishing these images first.  I will post them on another blog one they are published.

 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4