REVIEW: Manfrotto Professional Backpack 50


I have to admit that as a photographer who spends a lot of time on the move I have yet to find the perfect camera bag, but I may have come very close with the Manfrotto Professional Backpack 50.  

A camera bag is a considered purchase and something that shouldn't be skimped on.  Why spend thousands of hard earned pounds on a camera system and the protect it with a cheap bag - it doesn't make sense to me.

For the past five years I have used a Lowepro 350AW Pro Runner backpack which has been a great all round carrying system. I originally bought it for my Nikon DSLR outfit and when I switched exclusively to Fujifilm in 2014 I continued to use the Lowepro.  However it was starting to show its age with some of the plastic couplings breaking or becoming detached, so I started the search for a new bag.

Because I take a lot of flights - I've taken 84 flights in 2016 - the bag has to fit in with the most stringent of carry on rules for the major carriers.  I tend to fly with British Airways or other One World partner airlines or with Air France /KLM.  I also wanted a bag where the depth was enough to take the Fujinon XF50-140mm f2.8 could stand upright.  In the Lowepro both the 100-400mm and the 50-140mm zooms had to be laid flat and this means there is less room for other cameras and lenses.



After much deliberation I went along to Calumet in Edinburgh to have a look at the shortlisted bags I had decided on.  One bag stood out and that was the Manfrotto 50.  I have been using Manfrotto tripods and clamps for many years but had never considered buying a camera bag from the Italian manufacturer. 

The staff at Calumet were very helpful and after trying several options, putting cameras and lenses in the bags to see what could fit, the Manfrotto 50 was purchased.  The main reason was the fact that it was the only bag that could fit the 50-140mm upright. I did consider the new version of my existing Lowepro Pro Runner but I still couldn't get the 50-140mm upright, so the bag was discounted as an option.



I have been using the Manfrotto 50 since the end of September and it has been on several overseas trips including to Shanghai, Japan, Bahrain, Portugal and Belgium as well as on several shoots closer to home here in Scotland.  I can report that this is definitely the best camera bag I have used in 20 years.

The materials used are excellent, the zips are strong, the internal compartments are well padded and so are the straps, which can be adjusted to find the most comfortable position when it is on my back.  The waist strap is also well padded but can also be removed which is very handy when flying.  I usually put it in my checked luggage and the fit it if needed when I reach my destination.

Now for each photoshoot I only take what I really need and when flying I also have a Samsonite laptop case for the extras.  But for the shot below I wanted to show what can actually fit if I needed to take everything with me in the Manfrotto 50.




In the bag is -

Fujifilm X-T2 + Battery Grip + XF16-55mm f2.8
Fujifilm X-Pro2 with grip
Fujifilm X100T
XF10-24mm f4
XF50-140mm f2.8
XF100-400mm f4.5/5.6
XF18mm f2
XF35mm f1.4
XF56mm f1.2
XF90mm f2
XF 1.4x Tele Converter
XF 2x Tele Converter
Samyang 8mm f2.8 fisheye
10mm and 16mm Extension tubes
Fujifilm EF-X500 Flashgun
Lee Filters 100mm system - 0.3, 0.6, 0.9 ND Grads + 10x ND 'Big Stopper'
Hoya Pro 52mm, 62mm 3 stop ND filters + 77mm Circular Polariser
Spare Batteries (6 of) for X-T2 and X-Pro2
Spare Batteries (2 of) for X100T
Battery Chargers
Peak Design Slide and Slide Lite camera straps + Peak Design wrist strap
Nikon ME-1 Microphone
Manfrotto PIXI EVO Mini Tripod
Spare SD Cards in waterproof case
Misc items - Cable release, Cleaning Kit, Camera covers, step up rings for filters
Manfrotto 190 Tripod
Lenovo 15.6" Laptop 



All of these items fit in the cleverly designed compartments and pockets in the Manfrotto 50.  Because the compartments are deep I can stack the smaller lenses / converters and this is where the lens bags that Fujifilm supply come in very handy so the lenses are protected from rubbing.



One of the good things about this bag is the quick access area at the top.  By just unzipping the top of the bag I have quick access to the X-T2 and 16-55mm f2.8 lens plus two other lenses under the flaps on each side.  I can also access the top netted pocket in the lid of the bag.  I tend to keep the 10-24mm f4 and the 50-140mm f2.8 lens in the two area and the spare batteries in the netted pocket.



The two deep side pockets can take some of the miscellaneous items such as mini tripods, filters etc and I put the EX-X500 flash in here as well because it comes in its own padded case.   




The three netted pockets in the inside of the lid also fit a lot of smaller items, while the deep pocket in the lid, which is designed for an iPad / tablet is great for my Lee filters.





The laptop slot at the back of the bag can fit a large 15.6" laptop / mac book with ease.  I tend to not use the laptop slot for its designed use as I always take my Samsonite laptop case on the plane but it is good to know that my laptop will fit if I want to take just one bag.



A full size tripod can be strapped to the outside of the backpack.  The straps are removable and there is a pull out tripod foot mount.

The bag is certainly not perfect but I have only found some minor niggles in the past few months.  Firstly the tripod straps are not connected to the bag and if they are not done up they are easily lost.  Secondly the zips on the side pockets are upside down if you put the bag flat on its back to access the cameras and lenses.  If you stand the bag on its end the side pocket zips are OK but if it is on its back then items can fall out onto the ground.

These are very small niggles for how I use the Manfrotto 50.  All in all this bag is great and as I tend to keep my camera bags for several years I am sure this bag will be with me for the foreseeable future.  At £179 this is a small investment in the protection of my valuable camera gear. 

CLICK HERE to see more information on the Manfrotto 50 Professional Backpack

CLICK HERE to see this camera bag on the Calumet website


SPECIFICATIONS (from the Manfrotto website) 


Weight2330 g 
Collection/SeriesProfessional 
Types of GearProfessional DSLR 
Number of Lenses
Tripod ConnectionYes 
Storage for personal itemsNo 
ColourBlack 
MaterialSynthetic Fabric 
External Height50.5 cm 
External Length31 cm 
External Width28 cm 
Internal main compartment height(H)46 cm 
Internal main compartment length(L)24 cm 
Internal main compartment width(W)16 cm 
Laptop Compartment Height46 cm 
Laptop Compartment Length24 cm 
Laptop Compartment Width2 cm


 -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES (UNLESS INDICATED) ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

Jeff Carter is an Official Fujifilm X Photographer and was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador in June 2015. In 2016 he worked with the company on the launches of the Fujifilm X-Pro2 in Tokyo and the Fujifilm X-T2 in Paris in July 2016.  You can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE


If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

  1. Nice. I think I'll check this one out. Having those many pocket/compartments could really be convenient. I've been checking out some camera bags for quite a while now. Thanks for this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice review. Good information.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4