REVIEW: Fujifilm X-T2 -The X-Series Camera We’ve Been Waiting For!


For the past three months I’ve been testing a prototype of the latest addition to the X Series range, the Fujifilm X-T2.  My role, along with the other X-Photographers selected to test the new camera, is to put the camera through its paces and report back to Fujifilm our findings.  The R&D Department back in Japan would then provide us with firmware updates as we went along until the final production model is available to go on sale.

There have been a lot of rumours and hype surrounding this camera and I have to be honest, the hype has been justified.  The X-T2 is the best X Series yet and one of the best cameras on the market in 2016.  The X-Pro2 when it was launched in January was a big step forward in terms of usability, performance and resolution, building on the experience gained from the years of development and the feed back received from a dedicated group of photographers around the world.

Now today Fujifilm can, at last, officially take the wraps off the X-T2 and reveal to the world the latest X-Series camera aimed at professional and enthusiast photographers alike.


This review is about my three months with the X-T2 and how I found using it in the real world as a working photographer.  It is not an in depth technical review of the camera, this will be covered by sites and magazines dedicated to these sort of articles.

Now with that out of the way, let me explain how I found the X-T2  as a tool for me to do my job.  The main role for this camera is in a sports environment, specifically shooting motorsport.   



I received my prototype X-T2 back in April at the FIA World Endurance Championship event at Silverstone. I have shot several events with the X-T2 including at Spa-Francorchamps in Belgium, Imola in Italy and, the big one, the 24 Hours of Le Mans.  At Le Mans my fellow X Photographers working in motorsport - John Rourke (UK), Andrew Hall (AUS), Dirk Bogaerts (BEL), Jacky Ley (FRA) - all shot the event with an X-T2 and I am sure their images will be made public in the coming days and weeks.

I have also shot several personal projects on the X-T2 alongside the X-Pro2 and X-T1 to give a back-to-back performance review of the camera.



ERGONOMICS
The first thing you notice when picking up the X-T2 is the small increase in size when compared with an X-T1. It is slightly bigger in all departments. The layout of the X-T2 is very familiar to anyone who has an X-T1, with the dials and switches in almost identical places.  The only exception on the back of the camera is the inclusion of a toggle switch and the Q menu button has moved to where the Focus Assist button was on the X-T1. The Focus Assist is now on the rear command dial, which is now pushable, like on the X-Pro2 and  X-T10.


The removable battery grip is also bigger to accommodate two NP-W126 batteries, with a third battery in the camera body, and the extra functions buttons, including a secondary toggle switch and function and Q menu  buttons next to the shutter release.  The other obvious change is the ‘Normal / Boost’ selector switch that increase the performance of the camera at the expenses of a slight increase in power drain from the batteries.  The grip also comes with an extra piece to expand the handgrip. 

I have seen several people speculating on forums and social media that the X-T1 battery grip will fit the X-T2.  I’m afraid that this is not true as the tripod mount on the X-T1s base plate is in a different position to the one on the X-T2 and the battery grip uses this screw point to attach to the camera.



On the top plate, the dials are taller to allow them to be selected more easily.  The ISO and Shutter Speed dials have selectable locking mechanisms (see the two images above).  When the button is pushed down the dial is locked at the setting you have selected.  When the button is up the dial will rotate.  This is a very good system for use in the field. 


The Exposure Compensation dial is +/- 3 stops, like the X-T1, but also gains the X-Pro2s ‘C’ setting.  This means the exposure compensation is set by turning the front command dial and it is +/- 5 stops.  There is no lock on this dial, but unlike the dial on the X-Pro2, which sits proud of the camera body and is easily knocked, the dial on the X-T2 sits slightly inboard as it is on the X-T1 and I haven’t yet knocked the dial off the ‘C’ setting.


The shutter speed dial has an extra setting over the X-T1, 1/8000s for the mechanical shutter, and an electronic shutter up to 1/32000.

The ISO dial goes from 200-12800 with L and H settings - 100 on L and 25600 or 51200 on H, which is set in the menu.  Like on the X-Pro2 all ISO settings can be shot on RAW and JPEG.


Under the ISO dial is the drive selector, which gains an extra selection, with the video function now on the drive dial, with video start and stop on the shutter release.

Under the Shutter Speed dial the metering selections also gets an extra setting.


The shutter release also has a thread for a mechanical remote release like the X-Pro2.

One of the criticisms of the original X-T1 was the D Pad buttons were not high enough and it made selecting the functions difficult for some users.  I never had a problem with this but this problem has been rectified on the X-T2 with the D Pad buttons more pronounced.

The X-T2 comes with two SD memory card slots like the X-Pro2, but, unlike the X-Pro2, both slots can utilise the high speed performance of the UHS II SD cards - only slot 1 on the X-Pro2 is set up for use with the UHS II memory cards.  This means I don’t have to worry about the camera slowing down when writing to the second card anymore.



One of the very few negative comments I made about the X-Pro2 was the lack of an articulated LCD screen.  Well that has been rectified with the X-T2, which also goes one step further with the ability of the screen to tilt on the portrait axis as well.  This means you can shoot landscape or portrait modes on the ground or above my head with ease and I really like this additional flexibility this screen offers.

Another issue with the X-T1 was the rubber skin on the camera and the fact it started to detach from the chassis over time.  Both my X-T1s suffered from this and I am pleased to note the skin on the X-T2 seems to be much more durable.  I haven’t seen any problem with my prototype X-T2 despite some heavy usage over the past three month.


AUTO FOCUS PERFORMANCE
Over the past three months I have used the X-T2 to shoot motorsport, wildlife and landscapes and the camera has performed above expectations, especially with regards to AF performance.  In this regard the X-Pro2 pointed the way when I shot international rugby at Murrayfield and motorsport at Paul Ricard and Silverstone. 

The X-Pro2 proved that Fujifilm had developed an AF system that was ideal for sports and wildlife photography.  Well I am happy to report that the AF system on the X-T2 is even better!  I have been tracking sportscars at speeds in excess of 200mph and birds in flight with ease.



One of the new features of the X-T2 is the AF-C Custom settings with five presets and one custom setting depending on the type of subject you are shooting.  The five presets are 1. Multi purpose 2. Ignore obstacles  3. Accelerating / Decelerating subject 4. Suddenly Appearing Subject  5. Erratically Moving Subject.  Set 6 is a custom function where you can change the tracking sensitivity, speed tracking sensitivity and zone area switching.

For motorsport I have found Set 3 to be perfect and the system works extremely well.

The X-T2 has 325 focus points compared to the 273 on the X-Pro2, this drops to 91 if Zone Focus is selected.


11 AND 14 FRAMES PER SECOND
The new drive mode of 11fps is very usable and with the camera set to AF-C I was able to follow focus a car through the final set of corners at Le Mans and take 26 images all perfectly sharp.   T

The X-T2 has a headline figure of 14fps with the Electronic Shutter selected.  Now in the past the Electronic Shutter has produced some strange results when shooting a moving subject and for my work I have shied away from using the ES.  I did do a trial at Le Mans and I have to report the results were much better on the X-T2 than previously on the X-T1s ES but I prefer to stick to the Mechanical Shutter, which is more usable now that we have 1/8000s.  To be honest 8fps is more than adequate for my needs and 11fps is useful when needed.  I can select 11fps at the touch of a function button!

The CL drive also gets an upgrade with the photographer being able to choose between 3, 4 and 5 fps. 

IMAGE QUALITY
Well the X-T2 uses the same 24MP X-Trans III sensor that was first seen in the X-Pro2 and the results I have been getting from the prototype X-T2 are just superb.  The image quality is the reason I switched to the X-Series and the results are exactly what I expected. 

I need to point out that the X-T2 I have been using for the past three months is a pre production prototype so the quality may even improve when the production model is received.  But I am extremely happy with the results I have been getting with this camera and to be honest I don’t see how Fujifilm can improve on the images I have been producing.

As usual I shoot RAW + JPEG, with the film simulation set to Velvia.  I also use ACROS for black and white images and I am pleased to say that this film simulation has found its way on to the X-T2.

The 24MP sensor has one advantage that shouldn’t be overlooked and that is the ability to crop in post production.  When shooting fast moving action sometimes the composition of the final image is not exactly perfect and can be improved by cropping the image. With a 6000 x 4000 pixel image you have more manoeuvring room than you do with the X-T1s 4896 x 3264 pixel sensor.  In fact almost all the X-T2 images I’ve cropped to improve the composition are still substantially larger than the 16mp output of the X-T1.


VIDEO
I use the video mode my X-Pro2 and X-T1 for shooting driver interviews and press conferences but recently I have been experimenting shooting action with the X-T2.  The 4K video is superb and with the improved AF action is very easy to shoot, with the results looking great on the 4K screen I have on my computer.  I will admit I am a stills photographer not a videographer, so the small issues I have had with the video mode on the X-T2 are more down to user error than the camera.  With the increased functionality of the video on the X-T2 I can see me shooting more moving images from now on.


WEATHER RESISTANCE
For a sports photographer having confidence that your gear will stand up to the conditions is a must and I pleased to report that the X-T2 has shrugged off everything that the weather has thrown at it.  I do try to keep the cameras covered in heavy rain but it is sometime inevitable that you have to shoot when the heavens have opened.  I know from first hand experience that the WR on the lens and body means I can keep shooting with confidence.



CONCLUSION
Well the results speak for themselves.  The X-T2 has been my ‘go to’ camera for nearly three months and is a superb working tool for me as a sport, wildlife and landscape photographer. 

The inevitable question is going to be is it that big a step up from the X-T1 to justify the extra expense? 

For me it is a no brainer, the X-T2 is a huge step forward in terms of performance over the X-T1 in every area.  If you don’t need the improved AF performance, 11 fps, 4K video and a 24MP sensor then the X-T1 is still a fantastic camera and I will be keeping mine for the foreseeable future. 

However with the X-T2, the X-Pro2 and the ever expanding range of Fujinon lenses, Fujifilm X-Series now has the camera line up to compete with the very best from the rival manufacturers.

























-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES (UNLESS INDICATED) ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability



Jeff Carter is an Official Fujifilm X Photographer and was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador in June 2015. In 2016 he worked with the company on the launches of the Fujifilm X-Pro2 in Tokyo and the Fujifilm X-T2 in Paris in July 2016.  You can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE

If you like what you see on this blog please follow us on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAMTWITTER or FLICKR

Comments

  1. Great review Jeff, very useful thanks. The AF-C Custom settings and CL drive settings are both unexpected bonuses - well I didn't expect them anyway. Just pre-ordered! I seem to have gone from a cupboard full of Nikons to one starting to get full of Fujis.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably the most useful review I've seen - things like the better skin aren't mentioned anywhere else. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ian and the skin on the X-T2 is a definite improvement on the X-T1

      Delete
  3. Love the Le Man's pic's Jeff did wonder if you'd have an XT2 there! Looks a better of a camera!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Chris I had one on me for the entire week but had to keep it under wraps when shooting with it.

      Delete
  4. Great review! I have used my X-T1 for almost 2 years, and love the camera. But, the rubber skin has been replaced by Fuji 3 times, and detract from what I love about the camera. Glad to hear that the X-T2 appears to have solved the issue. Consequently, my reason for having placed my pre-order for the new body.
    thanks,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kirkmac, the skin on the X-T2 is a definite improvement on the X-T1. I only had to replace the skin on one of my X-T1s but I know your frustration. Fujifilm are definitely listening to the feedback they receive.

      Delete
  5. It is indeed commendable that Fujifilm extensively tests its pre production model with several renowned photographers before offering it to lesser mortals (!) like me. Having said that ,the deficiencies in the ergonomics of XT1, such as the squishy and very difficult to press cross keys in the back , the ISO dial frequently displacing the drive dial are some glaring deficiencies which has proven to be very inconvenient to users like me. I wonder why even after extensive testing the design change required or even in this case necessitated has not been recommended to Fuji.

    I can understand that recommending changes in the sensor or other technical components might not have been under the purview of the evaluators as it would have a cost and other ramifications. But users like me would have been only happy if some essential design changes like what had been cited above could have been recommended and implemented in the XT1 itself. These are the things which the users are inconvenienced every time they use the camera and in my opinion is major deficiency ( again, because you encounter the problem every time you pick up the camera ) in an otherwise fantastic camera and lenses.And the irony is that this is something so basic that everybody who uses the XT1 has experienced and commented upon.There is no point offering a fantastic dial based camera when by using it the convenience is nullified by an inconvenience it causes.

    Fuji have themselves said it is not correct of any manufacturer to expect the customer to change their higher end cameras every two years.That being the case we would all been happier that this fact had been highlighted by the experts and implemented in the XT1 itself

    No criticism intended as all the X Photographers are geniuses who are to be greatly respected and admired , but it is just that non professionals like us would really not like or even afford to change cameras for reasons such as these ,which in the first place could have been avoided,but unfortunately begs a change for the great inconvenience it creates.

    I have invested heavily in the Fuji system with the XT1, XE2 and 9 lenses so I am atleast qualified to comment, I guess !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great post! Thanks for sharing. I like Classic finishing’s, high functionality, and compact design of Fujifilm's X Series, this cameras is very good for photography.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am using XT3 - WITH 16/50, 2.8 10/24, F4, 50/ 140 , 2.8
    but in jaipur scarves is very poor ,

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4