Venice: A Tale of Two Lenses


One of the plus points of the Fujifilm X-Series is it compact and lightweight design.  I have been accused recently by a reader of this blog for going against the ethos of the X-Series by having so much equipment, four camera bodies, nine lenses and all the accessories that support my camera system for my work.  Yes this is a lot of equipment and all in it weighs just under 12kg full loaded.  

However the name is compact SYSTEM camera and the system means I adapt the camera and lenses for the job in hand.  If I am tackling sport I will pack three bodies and the long zooms, plus the 1.4x converter.  For travel I don't need to pack as much and that is where the X-Series comes up trumps.

Now I was taking a personal trip to Venice with my wife Julie to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary but I wasn't going to pass up the chance to indulge in a spot of photography on our first ever visit to such a beautiful place.  My wife is very patient with me with regards to picture taking when I am not working but I have occasionally pushed her to the limit. So I wanted to make sure that this trip was a success on a personal level as well as a professional one.

So I decided to go lightweight and pack the X-Pro2 (without the new grip) and two prime lenses - the XF18mm f2 and the XF56mm f1.2, which gave me a wide and a short telephoto, but more importantly they were both fast for shooting at night.  I could've taken the 16-55mm f2.8 zoom instead but this is a big lens and I like to have the fixed focal lengths to force me to think creatively.  



The other advantage of the X-Pro2's 24mp X-Trans III sensor is the ability to crop the image if necessary, so if the 56mm was a little short on pulling power I knew I could crop in on the image if necessary in post.

I packed three spare batteries (but I only needed two on the trip) and a spare 32GB memory card in addition to the two I had in the camera.  I didn't pack a tripod but took the Gorillapod but ended up not using, preferring to find a handy wall to put the camera on or bumping up the ISO to 12800.  

Now I have to admit I was a little concerned about leaving the zooms at home and not having a back up camera but on arrival my concerns vanished as the beautiful city of Venice presented itself.  With the 18mm on the camera and the 56mm in a belt pouch I spent two days in this most photogenic of locations, enjoying the company of my wife and getting the shots while we walked about.

In the end I filled two 32GB memory cards so I have plenty to edit and post over the next few weeks. Unfortunately my time is short as I have to fly to Belgium tomorrow morning for the next round of the FIA World Endurance Championship at Spa-Francorchamps.  But here are a few of the images I took over the past two days in Venice on the Fujifilm X-Pro2 and 18mm or 56mm Fujinon lenses.




















-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
PLEASE SUPPORT THIS BLOG BY VISITING THE ADVERTISERS ON THIS PAGE
By clicking on the adverts you are helping support this blog - thank you.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ALL IMAGES ARE THE PROPERTY OF MACLEAN PHOTOGRAPHIC AND CANNOT BE USED FOR ANY PURPOSE WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION

MacLean Photographic run Tours and Workshops in East Lothian and the Borders of Scotland.  CLICK HERE for more details and availability

In June 2015 Jeff Carter was named as a Fujifilm brand ambassador and you can view his profile and gallery on the Fujifilm website HERE

If you like what you see on this blog please visit our Facebook page and click 'like'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

REVIEW: Using Nikon Lenses on a Fuji X Camera

Rode Wireless Go for the Fujifilm X-T4

REVIEW: The New Fujinon 2x Converter